SPARTA is the sport and recreational association of the Department for Transport (including the related Executive Agencies) and of the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government.
SPARTA is a non-profit making organisation whose aim is to promote and encourage social and recreational activities within MHCLG and DfT. It:
- Helps to promote staff health and wellbeing;
- Has an elected management committee (GMC) which has a Permanent Secretary as its President;
- Is affiliated to the Civil Service Sports Council;
- Is responsible for promoting sport and recreation through its various affiliated activity clubs/societies in London and affiliated regional branch clubs. In London there are sports clubs/societies covering a wide range of sporting and recreational activities;
- Has affiliated regional branches around the country;
- Hosts the annual MHCLG and DfT Sports Day, where staff from all over the country descend on London for a day of competitive sport, designed to give staff the chance to meet different colleagues across the Department(s);
- Finances competitors representing combined MHCLG/DfT teams in various civil service national championships.